I read a great article over at ragar.com about making a compelling case to your boss or decision makers about why they should use web video marketing. I have summarized the data for you, but if you want to check out the full article it is here.
Anyway, here are the big takeaways:
1. Video is where your customers hang out – YouTube alone has more than 4 billion views per day, and it’s the second-largest search engine, right after Google.
2. Video is already boosting your competitors – in 2012, 81 percent of senior marketing executives use some form of online video in marketing campaigns, up from the already high 70 percent in 2011. (from MarketingProfs)
3. Video is searchable and SEO Gold – video results have shown up in nearly 70 percent of the top 100 search listings on Google in 2012. (from Marketing Week)
4. Video is shared easily and frequently – more than 500 years’ worth of YouTube videos are watched every day on Facebook. Yeah, weird stat, but maybe it means something 🙂
5. Video levels the playing field – web video production will account for more than 1/3 of all online advertising spends within the next five years. (Borrell Associates Annual Benchmarking Results)
6. Video entertains, educates, and inspires – over 60 percent of buyers will spend 2+ minutes watching an explainer video about a product they are thinking about buying.(MarketingCharts.com)
7. Video allows real-time feedback and interaction – people really love to comment on videos, and that’s where you can learn more about your consumers.
8. Video is measurable – analytics are so accessible, and they do a great job of telling how successful your videos are. No guesswork. Clear ROI.
9. Video lives on, making it more cost-effective over time – web videos stay online and in Google results for a very long time continuing to work for you over time.
10. Video is one click away from the ‘buy’ button – 34 percent of apparel shoppers are more likely to purchase after viewing a web video, versus just 16 percent after watching an ad on TV. (ReelSEO)
11. Video is about selling, not just playing around – shoppers who viewed video were 174 percent more likely to purchase than viewers who did not. (Retail Touchpoints)
“Far too many “video marketing experts” are wasting clients’ time and money playing around with videos that are either so boring they don’t get shared or so vague they don’t connect viewers to the products or service and don’t sell anything. Make it clear to your boss or partners that video is a way of selling more products and services, not just entertaining for the fun of it. Video initiatives and the surrounding activities should revolve around clear objectives and calls to action, to create an environment where consumers know what they’re supposed to buy and can easily purchase it.” – David Murdico
12. Video is mobile – online video accounts for 50 percent of ALL mobile traffic and up to 69 percent of traffic on certain networks. (Bytemobile Mobile Analytics Report)
Take this list to your boss, give me a call and let’s talk about your web video campaign strategy. It should really be a top priority.